Re: [OM] Northern Lights Trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Northern Lights Trip
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 14:29:02 -0900
Tina,

The only thing I can think of to alter would be to stuff a spare M
body in the bag some place. I wouldn't go anywhere without a spare
body--even if its only purpose in life is to keep your dry socks cozy.

The other item of note would be chemical hand warmers and rubber
bands. Instead of putting the camera inside your parka between
pictures, which exposes it to moisture, you can secure the chemical
hand warmer to the camera/lens in such a way that it will put just
enough warmth into the camera that everything won't freeze die on you.

I've been learning lots about arctic life up here in Alaska. The
company I work for has thousands of electronic devices exposed to the
elements. The normal specification on everything is -20. That's a joke
as -40 is more like real life. Once an item becomes cold-soaked,
everything inside turns brittle and electronics can start behaving
strangely. Over and over again, the most important thing we have to
protect against is thermal shock. Once an item goes below 0F, even a
sudden change of 10 degrees can be catastrophic. We don't power cycle
anything at those temperatures either. Leave everything running all
the time.

I have found that the OLED display on my cellphone does not like
severe cold and LCDs become extremely sluggish. Again, the handwarmer
should keep the camera just warm enough that the displays should stay
functional. Alternatively, you can put the warmers inside the camera
bag and pop the camera back into the bag between pictures.

I discovered that the aurora moves very rapidly when overhead. Quite
fascinating. I saw a display here a couple weeks ago that were from
horizon to horizon, north to south, east to west. They were moving so
fast that a five second exposure would have been on the outer limit of
acceptability. It was the first time I've ever seen them like that.

As to the jeans and long underwear... Jeans are quite cold. Just sayin.

AG