Re: [OM] Oddball solution to reduce long exposure noise

Subject: Re: [OM] Oddball solution to reduce long exposure noise
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:02:00 -0800
https://tinyurl.com/y8vcy6dw

Not sure about the  generalizable   usefulness of this this gizmo is to reduce
noise.  A7RII and likely III allow for micro USB charging to be used with the
battery in
to provide more power.  However the batteries seem to be a source of heat and
the sensors run hot as it is.  A dummy battery with an external source seems to
reliably cut down on noise for long exposures.

The old is new again. My first digicam, 1.9 MP Canon S110, has a rubber covered hole in the battery door, and a dummy battery available to externally power it. I seem to recall I've had other older digis with that.(?)

I wondered if the early Canons and a lot of P&Ss with no mass didn't come in silver to lower heat load in the sun. I put two cameras in the sun for a few minutes; the silver one was much cooler.

Seems attractive to me but may be less so for other cams.

Sounds like a useful solution.

Cool as a Moose