Re: [OM] IMG: Testing times

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Testing times
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 20:58:33 -0800
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

On 12/10/2017 8:51 AM, JOHN DUGGAN wrote:
. . . My diagnosis was correct...after 6yrs the Hard Drive was toast.
I do my image back-ups by hand. The HD for images in my computer accumulates
endless hours, but the external back-up only a handful
These things have a static lifetime, as well as a dynamic lifetime.

This is not a static BU. I use matching HDs, one in the computer, one stored elsewhere. The BU unit gets used regularly, if relatively briefly, to back up new content on the primary.

After a while, the lubricant in the bearings gets stiff, and the volatile fractions that left
the lubricant to make it stiff end up precipitating on the platters. So the drive
won’t start, and after a lot of manual rotation, it does start, it doesn’t read.

I’ve had drives marked “WORKING WHEN REMOVED FROM SERVICE, 19??-??-??” not “wake
up” again after being stored for a dozen years or so.

So, you need to periodically backup your hardware, too!

Not as yet a problem. Not sure what I was doing before I started this model with a pair of 1.5 TB drives. Then came 3 TB. As they recently came close to full, they were replaced with a pair of 6 TBs. I trust Moore's law to take me up again in a few years. Now at 54%, after Bhutan.

I’d think an external SSD would be a better choice for long-term backups, but
they’re too new to have proved themselves.

I guess I don't much think of that sort of long term BUs. I think of BU as a growing current archive. I can instantly access my first digital capture without going through old drive/discs.

My scans are on a separate drive, with the same BU strategy.

I can vouch that some brands of 20-year-old CD-ROMs read as good as the day
they were written, while others, not. :-(

I decided optical storage wasn't a viable solution long ago.  The cheap stuff was of uncertain reliability, the good stuff too expensive, the capacity limited and library maintenance too much trouble. I could just see myself trying to remember or interpret my labels/notes on what is where and trying several discs before giving up - even then not knowing whether it exists or not. Feh.

No Disc Shuffle Moose