Re: [OM] Looking for macro, om 80 bellows?

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for macro, om 80 bellows?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 11:05:31 -0800
> From: olympus [mailto:olympus-bounces+wayne.harridge=structuregraphs.com@
> thomasclausen.net] On Behalf Of Moose
>
> On 12/12/2017 8:32 AM, Nicholas Travers wrote:
>> I went to go dupe some negs and my 50mm lens doesn't work on the
>> bellows setup I have.  Camera to Lens distance is too long.
>
> Perhaps just as well. In my tests of several macro lenses years ago, the
> 50/3.5 Macro was not as good at 1:1 as at 1:2.

But hey, due to the much-maligned “crop factor,” the 50/3.5 would be working at
1:2 when duping 35mm film, anyway. So, no worries!

So I’d go with the 50mm/3.5 lens, and add some fixed extension tubes to make up
the difference, if needed. That’s a lovely lens, and can be had for a song
these days. Be sure to crank the 50 all the way out, as I believe it has a
floating element group that is only engaged when fully extended. (Or was that
just the 50/2 and 90/2 that have that?)

I’m also a big fan of the Telescoping Extension Tube, which occasionally can be
seen on evilBay for $100 or so — much cheaper than an 80mm macro! You could use
it to extend the Oly bellows, but it is very useful in its own right. (I call
it my “field-hardened bellows,” having ruined an OM bellows by throwing it in a
pack and breaking off the tiny set screws poking out of it.)

BTW: I’ve just converted a Nikon PB-4 bellows to mount micro four thirds on the
back and OM on the front. So I can finally make use of the huge image circle of
the 135/4.5 macro without raiding the secret Wyoming facility for the prototype
OM tilt-shift bellows. Works like a charm! I’ll be posting about it on
mu-43.com.

:::: Some days I wonder if it might not be better to culturally engineer humans
to enjoy small scale garden farming than to genetically engineer weeds to save
large scale agribusiness. -- Gene Logsdon
<http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Gene+Logsdon>
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::