Re: [OM] Looking for macro, om 80 bellows?

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for macro, om 80 bellows?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 12:00:54 -0800
From: olympus [mailto:olympus-bounces+wayne.harridge=structuregraphs.com@
thomasclausen.net] On Behalf Of Moose

On 12/12/2017 8:32 AM, Nicholas Travers wrote:
I went to go dupe some negs and my 50mm lens doesn't work on the
bellows setup I have.  Camera to Lens distance is too long.
Perhaps just as well. In my tests of several macro lenses years ago, the
50/3.5 Macro was not as good at 1:1 as at 1:2.
But hey, due to the much-maligned “crop factor,” the 50/3.5 would be working at
1:2 when duping 35mm film, anyway. So, no worries!

You came to some different conclusions than I from the brief ". . .dupe some negs . . ." Dupe", together with the tag to his posts "shoot film ", led me to assume the aim was to create duplicates on 35 mm film. Looking back at his posts, I see that he was using Sony NEX APS-C, but the camera was broken - so no clue f it was replaced, or the tool for this project.

IF it's APS-c or (µ)4/3, I agree, the 50/3.5 is excellent at 1:2 or so.

So I’d go with the 50mm/3.5 lens, and add some fixed extension tubes to make up
the difference, if needed.

Again, we read differently. I read "Camera to Lens distance is too long." to mean that he couldn't get the lens close enough, even with bellows fully collapsed, not that he needed more extension. Needing more than bellows extension for 1:1 with a 50 mm lens seems unlikely.

That’s a lovely lens, and can be had for a song these days.

Yup.

Be sure to crank the 50 all the way out, as I believe it has a floating element
group that is only engaged when fully extended. (Or was that just the 50/2 and
90/2 that have that?)

eSIF say "Floating mechanism to compensate for close distance aberrations." Set to close focus and focus with bellows extension.

I’m also a big fan of the Telescoping Extension Tube, which occasionally can be seen on evilBay for
$100 or so — much cheaper than an 80mm macro! You could use it to extend the Oly bellows, but it is
very useful in its own right. (I call it my “field-hardened bellows,” having ruined an OM
bellows by throwing it in a pack and breaking off the tiny set screws poking out of it.)

Yup, great tool. I used to stalk with 135/4.5 on bellows. The TET is much
better in the field.

BTW: I’ve just converted a Nikon PB-4 bellows to mount micro four thirds on the back
and OM on the front. So I can finally make use of the huge image circle of the 135/4.5 macro
without raiding the secret Wyoming facility for the prototype OM tilt-shift bellows. Works
like a charm! I’ll be posting about it on mu-43.com.

Sounds like a fun project for a tinkerer with tools I don't have. Trying to
imagine what I would use it for . . .

Which Mag Moose