Re: [OM] Looking for macro, om 80 bellows?

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for macro, om 80 bellows?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:25:09 -0800
On 12/17/2017 11:48 AM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
<<One of my earliest posts when I found this list was a query as to how/why the
50/2.0 was superior to the 50/3.5 for macro work and 50/1.4 for regular work, as Gary's
tests showed the macros to be equal from f5.6 to f11, where <<macro work would be
done, and the last 50/1.4s to be better at the wider apertures.

All is true as stated.  50/2 a bit soft at F2 as well.  However, 50/1.4
performance close up not as good

Truth ism, by the time I had a >1.2 M serial # 50/1.4, I was using zooms for most of my shooting, and had 50/3.5, Tammy 90/2.5 and Kiron 105/2.8. The only thing I used a 50 mm macro for was C-U flat copy work, of which I did a whole bunch for a while. The 50/3.5 and Tammy (depending on original subject size) did that wonderfully.

and the bokeh is much improved in many circumstances on the 50/2 vs the 50/3.5.

After a couple of 50/3.5 very close up shots with distant background, I quickly gave up on that combo. I wonder how much the 50/2 might have been better, but the 50/1.8 could also do some really awful stuff in similar situations.

"Rendering" is different too, but that is difficult to quantify.

Indeed. But these days, I'd likely prefer the wide open look of a 55/1.2 for Alt shots, as I can't see myself using an MF 50 mm for regular work.

Curiously Oly with there recent fast MFT portrait lens paid attention to the
focus transition zone to achieve smoother results w/o using an APD element.

Weeellll . . .

OM 50/2 = 9 elements in 7 groups. Primarily unit focusing.
>M.Zuiko 25/1.2 Pro = 19 elements in 14 groups. Internal focusing.
(M.Zuiko 25/1.8 = 9 elements in 7 groups. Internal focusing.)

"The lens consists of 19 elements in 14 groups, with lavish use of special lenses such as 1 Super ED lens and 2 ED lenses. The lenses help suppress unfocused colour bleeding (axial chromatic aberration) common to large-diameter lenses. Also, the colour-canceling effects of E-HR lens and HR cemented lenses effectively correct colour bleeding (magnification chromatic aberration) at the screen periphery. An aspherical lens is placed near the aperture and multiple HR lenses are employed to achieve thorough suppression of comatic aberration common to large-diameter lenses. This advanced optical design results in excellent optical performance that delivers beautiful feathered bokeh and accurate depiction of points even at the widest aperture setting."

In their examples, the wide open background blur is indeed excellent. OTOH, they are carefully picked examples, and it may be less perfect with different subject/background distances. And that's a lot of dosh (& size/weight) for some nice bokeh I've at least partially figured out how to create in post.

Outer Limits Moose