Re: [OM] Anybody using their legacy OM glass with Sony full frame digita

Subject: Re: [OM] Anybody using their legacy OM glass with Sony full frame digital?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 14:55:12 -0800
On 12/27/2017 1:57 PM, Bill Barber via olympus wrote:
Subject pretty much says it all. If your answer is "yes," how satisfied are you
with the setup?  Whose adapter are you using?

MikeG is the local expert on "straight" use, AF adapters, etc. He keeps up on the subject and used a rented A7RII in Bhutan with OM mount MF glass on an AF adapter.

I use various MF glass on a simple A7 for my Alt/artistic/whatever photography. It's a great platform for that, as so many lenses either designed for less than optically perfect results or giving them at larger apertures anyway are FF glass, and much of their aberrant magic is lost on crop sensors. All but the last two images here were taken with A7 and MF glass. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20640>

Nos. 6 & 7 are with the OM 38/2.8 bellows macro. (the last two are a C-mount security camera lens on µ4/3, thus capturing even more of its wonderful aberrant behavior than the smaller sensor size it was designed for. :-) )

Latest addition to the menagerie is a Canon FD 58/1.2. I'd been thinking about the OM 55/1.2, but they are pretty expensive and about a 10 year newer design than the old Canon, so I expect a wide open 58/1.2 to be optically worse, i.e. better for my purposes.

I'm in the inquiry stage, which is where I was for a long time before buying
the e-1. Not so much so with the e-3 and e-5.

Other than with their e-thingies, how are folks using their original Olympus
4/3 e-thingy glass?

Not much, really, as it's a pain to me to use MF glass for my regular photography. I had trouble with remembering, or having time, to focus and remembering to note apertures with a Laowa 7.5/2.0 MF lens on µ4/3 on the Bhutan trip.

The A7 is perfect for bellows work with the OM bellows lenses. Live view with image magnification on the LCD is almost infinitely better for macro focus than a (D)SLR. Weirdly, it has no mechanical or electronic remote release connection. I used an IR remote. The IR sensor is on the front, so that would be a pain for some uses, but macro on a copy stand is so close that the IR bounces and works even from behind.

I did do a comparison of a late OM 50/1.4 on FF vs. M.Z 25/1.8 on µ4/3, with tripods and such. The newer glass won by a bit in conventional resolution, contrast, etc. over old, even though the old had a 24 to 16 MP sensor advantage.

Alt Dot Moose