Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 14:23:27 -0800
On 12/29/2017 12:50 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:
I've thought of this process for some time, but I always get up against one
thing. For me, having lat-lon numbers for me is no better than nothing. How do
you decode this into a location like Bezerkly, Chicago, etc. using only basic
arithmetic and first two weeks of Jr. High algebra?

Unless it's some sort of Zen or ascetic exercise, you don't.

If your camera/phone/tablet doesn't auto tag, you use one of many apps that use time matching to insert the location information into the images by matching the time taken with trackpoints.

Then it all depends on how you look at or display your images. In LR, select the image, select Metadata in the right info panel. to the left of the title "Metadata", is a drop down menu. Select "Location" to get a display of, for an image I was just looking at:

Sublocation:     Brooklyn
City:            New York
State/Province:  New York
Country:         United States
ISO Country:     US

Also, in LR, select image(s) and click on "Map", upper right, to get a map with the image location(s) shown. Hover cursor over a flag to see thumbnail(s).

In FastStone, press 'i', to get the EXIF details panel and click on the Google
Maps or Earth icons at the bottom.

If you show photos in Google Photos, click on the "i" icon to see place name and map, as with this critter. <https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMYjr0sL1Gw5fD7MSlXJ8vCHC-asvw1t1i3aj6EhucXtCtq7yE-_TZJLeML_bzjRw/photo/AF1QipNfU8V0huiHAaII07tuSQ7S-b6WUUOgV8m94hKa?key=REpuLU1nTzRCTl8xTXdwV0JVRENILUJXQ19URVhB> Many of the other photo display gallery sites will also "do the math" and display place name and/or map. I just don't remember which do what.

I modified the Singapore Gallery  to add a "Map" button that opens the location in Google Maps. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2016/Assabet%20River%20NWR&image=_A007286oof50.jpg>

No Math Moose