Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 01:25:43 -0500 (EST)
Aw crap, I must use LR?
----- Original Message -----

From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2017 4:23:27 PM

On 12/29/2017 12:50 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:
> I've thought of this process for some time, but I always get up against one
> thing. For me, having lat-lon numbers for me is no better than nothing. How
> do you decode this into a location like Bezerkly, Chicago, etc. using only
> basic arithmetic and first two weeks of Jr. High algebra?

Unless it's some sort of Zen or ascetic exercise, you don't.

If your camera/phone/tablet doesn't auto tag, you use one of many apps that use
time matching to insert the location
information into the images by matching the time taken with trackpoints.

Then it all depends on how you look at or display your images. In LR, select
the image, select Metadata in the right
info panel. to the left of the title "Metadata", is a drop down menu. Select
"Location" to get a display of, for an
image I was just looking at:

Sublocation: Brooklyn
City: New York
State/Province: New York
Country: United States
ISO Country: US

Also, in LR, select image(s) and click on "Map", upper right, to get a map with
the image location(s) shown. Hover
cursor over a flag to see thumbnail(s).

In FastStone, press 'i', to get the EXIF details panel and click on the Google
Maps or Earth icons at the bottom.

If you show photos in Google Photos, click on the "i" icon to see place name
and map, as with this critter.
<https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMYjr0sL1Gw5fD7MSlXJ8vCHC-asvw1t1i3aj6EhucXtCtq7yE-_TZJLeML_bzjRw/photo/AF1QipNfU8V0huiHAaII07tuSQ7S-b6WUUOgV8m94hKa?key=REpuLU1nTzRCTl8xTXdwV0JVRENILUJXQ19URVhB>

Many of the other photo display gallery sites will also "do the math" and
display place name and/or map. I just don't
remember which do what.

I modified the Singapore Gallery to add a "Map" button that opens the location
in Google Maps.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2016/Assabet%20River%20NWR&image=_A007286oof50.jpg>

No Math Moose