Re: [OM] Panorama Stitching

Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Stitching
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 16:48:14 +0000
On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 9:26 PM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Although I have been occasionally frustrated in using Hugin's interface,
>
> Only occasionally? I know next time I'll be lost again.

Understatement 'R' me.

> > it's also been the only way I have managed to achieve a decent pano from
> > some series, when PS choked on them.
>
> I don't recall having PS choke. OTOH, I have 32 GB of RAM and the cache on
> a fast SSD. :-)

Not choked in that sense. Rather, choked in sense of not good results due
to problems with seams/blending. Hugin allows for setting of control points
manually that can correct such issues in panos where for one reason or
another (such as insufficient or ambiguous overlap) PS did a bad job. It's
tedious and frustration making, but can be a way of getting a decent --even
great-- pano that was problematic otherwise.

> Didn't like the Gimp, some time ago. I've got Darktable, but playing for
> now is limited to the two apps on trials that
> expire.

Gimp has had *lots* of updates. I think it's generally improved with time.
For someone that wqs never a heavy user of PS, like me, I suspect the
frustration level is lower than for those who have developed "muscle
memory" with PS.

> > Money spent (in whatever amount desired) in supporting
> > them goes directly to development instead of funding marketing and DRM
> > management, too!
>
> Hey! DRM is all I use LR for, a lot, and development there is good!!

Are we talking about two different acronyms here? I was a bit redundant, as
the one I was referring to was Digital Rights Management, i.e. that
syndrome where software developers (or others, like music/movie producers)
attempt to impose all sorts of odd, protected by statute, usually only
temporarily effective, schemes to prevent use of their IP without
sufficient permission (and often --deliberately-- designed in such a way as
to infringe upon the end-user's statutory rights).

(Note that I do think there needs to be rights management of some sort, to
ensure people do/can get paid where desired. However, doing so in such a
way that infringes on the rights of the end-user isn't the way to go about
it.)

--Scott

--
---