Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS wrist watches for tracking photo locations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 15:35:38 -0800
On 12/30/2017 8:42 AM, Jim Couch wrote:
No need for LR at Bill! I use a free program called Picmeta Photo Tracker Select a directory of photos and a gpx file and it tags all the photos based on matching time stamps.

https://www.picmeta.com/products/picmeta-phototracker.htm

I just took a look at this. I far prefer GeoSetter, also free. I can see the track and the assigned locations on a map. That way, I can see if something has gone wrong - I've been known to mess up time settings. :-)

It also allows geocoding based on a map location you choose, either by dropping a pin or by selecting the location of another photo. For example, I shot a lot of photos in and around a temple in Bhutan. Satellite reception in was was poor, but not nonexistent. When it loses the signals altogether, the tracker just continues to use the last fix until it gets a new one.

In this case, it tried with poor signals, and I got geocoded locations all over a broad area around the temple. The fix was to select the point for one that was correct and copy that to all the bad ones. Simple, accurate fix in a few moments.

After trying it, I uninstalled Picmeta Photo Tracker. I do like and use their
PIE.

Scattered Location Moose