Re: [OM] Hocus Focus {Turtle Alert!}

Subject: Re: [OM] Hocus Focus {Turtle Alert!}
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 19:00:35 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<<Then again, I still want to do an outdoor test with the same lenses with
greater subject and background distances. "Normal" FL lenses can do terrible
things in those circumstances.
An important test indeed.

<<<A decent description here.
<https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/7044/how-do-soft-focus-or-defocus-control-rings-work>

Hmmm,
Very good description that I've not run across---- thanks for link.

<<Probably because I'm interested in at least two things, but looking for all
in
<<<the same places, sorta.

OK, I do see.  Oly at least  recently has been  paying attention to the
transition zone of focal plane to OOF in MFT.  Perhaps the native MFT lenses
will be better in this regard.

Also, I do understand the attraction of the Sonnie 100STF with the APD element.
 I am highly enamored of the concept and was all set to be smitten, even at
1.5K.  The petapixel link and other samples often pick the exact circumstance
where it excels mightily.

Its major fault is it is just a tad too slow and the dof is really an F4 optic
despite being F2.8 wide open.  The  relative distance of the
lens/foreground/subject background of course are always key.  But if this lens
is not quite close to the subject or the background  quite distant, the magic
is gone.  Recall my CV apo Lanthar 90/3.5 OM mount can fit in my pocket and had
one of the best MTF's seen until the past few years with superb rendition and
great bokeh  under the same conditions--it can fit in my pocket.   Nonetheless
the Sonnie STF with macro/near macro can be luscious.

More info:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/05/a-look-at-the-new-sony-fe-100mm-f2-8-stm-gm-oss-with-smooth-trans-focus/

Not a perfect comparison  in link below,and in one instance at least the exact
wrong set of circumstances for the STF, but have a gander.

https://youtu.be/0dbev9rjXdI

Imagine the size/wt of an 100/ 1.8 IS STF--will definitely need Jamyang  close
by with the infinite Gho pocket.

Mike