Re: [OM] Hocus Focus {Turtle Alert!}

Subject: Re: [OM] Hocus Focus {Turtle Alert!}
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 21:59:12 -0800
<<<Then again, I still want to do an outdoor test with the same lenses with greater
subject and background distances. "Normal" FL lenses can do terrible things in those
circumstances.
An important test indeed.

<<<A decent description here.
<https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/7044/how-do-soft-focus-or-defocus-control-rings-work>

Hmmm,
Very good description that I've not run across---- thanks for link.

<<Probably because I'm interested in at least two things, but looking for all in
<<<the same places, sorta.

OK, I do see.  Oly at least  recently has been  paying attention to the
transition zone of focal plane to OOF in MFT.  Perhaps the native MFT lenses
will be better in this regard.

Yesbut . . . They are doing it in their line of superfast Pro lenses. Will it ever trickle down to the smaller size/weight/$ lenses? To a zoom or two?

Also, I do understand the attraction of the Sonnie 100STF with the APD element.
 I am highly enamored of the concept and was all set to be smitten, even at
1.5K.  The petapixel link and other samples often pick the exact circumstance
where it excels mightily.

PP should be forgiven for using the promo pix provided to them in a release
announcement. :-)

Its major fault is it is just a tad too slow and the dof is really an F4 optic
despite being F2.8 wide open.  The  relative distance of the
lens/foreground/subject background of course are always key.  But if this lens
is not quite close to the subject or the background  quite distant, the magic
is gone.

I thought the sample images in the DPR preview covered a pretty wide range of subject and background distances. Where there is less magic, they are still good images - not like the "failures" are crap. And where it works, the background separation is great.

The set with the fellow in the green watchcap is interesting. At t/5.6 even his far shoulder is OoF, progressively becoming less so to t/8. The building details get somewhat clearer, but separation is still excellent. I imagine f8 on a conventional lens would have poor separation. Different, certainly, better, sometimes, learning curve, yes.

In the text, the "Too smooth?" section orchid shows a choice between smoother
bokeh and more background separation.

Recall my CV apo Lanthar 90/3.5 OM mount can fit in my pocket and had one of
the best MTF's seen until the past few years with superb rendition and great
bokeh  under the same conditions--it can fit in my pocket.   Nonetheless the
Sonnie STF with macro/near macro can be luscious.

I just don't recall the bokeh. Probably in some Marnie Bucket shots, but not in my mind at the moment. But good, for a conventional lens, and Luscious may be pretty different. (And no AF/EXIF) :-)

More info:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/05/a-look-at-the-new-sony-fe-100mm-f2-8-stm-gm-oss-with-smooth-trans-focus/

Not a perfect comparison

I saw that. Interesting, perhaps even tantalizing, doing exactly what I often want in such circumstances. But then frustrating. I can see limiting the example, for reasons of time, space and sanity. But what was the point of including a Nikon 105mm DC at f/2, (No DC) shot without one or two with rear DC settings?

in link below,and in one instance at least the exact wrong set of circumstances
for the STF, but have a gander.

https://youtu.be/0dbev9rjXdI

Oh yes, I did see that a while ago. I know many folks will prefer the 85/1.8 to the 100 STF for greater subject separation. But if the background is to be there, why not have it smooth? I much prefer the STF bokeh. The subject selection isn't that bad, in that the receding wall shows the bokeh over a great range of distance. I sure would prefer a set of still images.

Imagine the size/wt of an 100/ 1.8 IS STF--will definitely need Jamyang  close
by with the infinite Gho pocket.

A little fatter, same length and 25% heavier than the 12-100, not a shrinking
violet.

Smooth Moose