Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:19:42 -0800
On 1/17/2018 2:38 PM, Bill Barber via olympus wrote:
I've ridden the Olympus horse for many years, starting with the OM series film
cameras and then after a few years on the fence to the e-1, e-3 and finally e-5
cameras. At this point I felt Olympus had basically deserted the folks in the
trenches.  I was heavily invested in there system, both from the standpoint of
bodies but also glass.  Having sat on the sidelines for several years watching
Sony and am close to pulling the trigger (that means sometime this year) on the
Sony a7r III.  I'm at the point where lighter is better. Just got a mailer from
Olympus promoting their OM-D E-M1 III as a good transition for the e-thingy
users. two questions? Is anybody really seriously satisfied with using their
e-glass with this 20 megapixel camera?

I am not a real user, but have read many reviews and user comments. The e-glass was designed to work with Phase Detect AF. All the other µ4/3 camera bodies are Contrast Detect AF only and e-glass used on them is slow to glacial in AF. In my recent silliness of acquiring an E-1 with 14-54 lens and comparing it to an E-M5 II with the same lens on and adapter, I found it to be far from glacial, but too slow for me to be happy with it normal use.

The E-M1 introduced PDAF in addition to CDAF, continued in the Mark II (and in the Mark III you apparently have access to.) User reports and reviews all say that AF for most lenses is as fast or faster as on the e-bodies. I'm no expert, but do recall there is/are an original lens or two that are still pretty slow on the E-M1 bodies. I believe the original 40-150, the lens that sold me on Canon, rather than an E-1, is one of those.

Is there any compelling reason to not go with the Sony.

It really depends on what you want. If you like your e-glass and the 4/3 format, why not try an E-M1 and see how the AF is for you? The switch from 4/3 to µ4/3 didn't make any big shift in sensors and image making. All the early models had the same size sensors as the E-5, later went to 16, and now 20 MP. If you liked what you got from the e-bodies, you will probably like what you get from the new ones.

If, like me, you want hand holdable long tele, it's µ4/3. If you want/need more Megapickles for other than static subjects, it's the Sony. The Oly HR Mode does great High Res on static subjects. Wonderful for lens testing, for example.

I wouldn't trade for Sony for my regular work if only because of the focus
bracketing of the Olys, which I consider Magic.

I have the original A7, and quite like it for my legacy/weird lens work, but
have no native/AF lenses for it.

Both Ways Moose