Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 16:45:44 -0800
On 1/18/2018 11:01 AM, ChrisB wrote:
I agree with Bill’s “spectacular",

Thanks!

but here’s a question for Moose:  how do you limit your focus bracket?

There are setting for number of slices and distance between them. Any fussbudget and/or pixel peeper should leave "focus differential" at one. The camera works from the current focus point toward infinity, and stops when it hits the set count or infinity. I have Fn buttons set for 15 and for 25 slices. The distance between slices depends on FL and aperture, using some internal DoF table. So, f8, with it's inherent deeper DoF will have a greater depth in in/cm for the same number of slices than one shot at f4. I usually use f5.6, as it's the sweet spot for optical qualities for most µ4/3 lenses.

Most frustrating is when I miss the closest point. Second is when the stack isn't deep enough, but that sometimes looks quite natural, as though one had a preternaturally deep DoF lens that does fade OoF in the deepest parts.

How do you limit the focus to the bits that you want in focus?

First, clarification. The E-M1 bodies do completely in-camera focus stacking, which is inadequate other than as curio, as far as I can see. I can go into why . . .

Both E-M1 bodies and the E-M5 II also do focus bracketing, producing a series of image files at different focal distances. Assuming it has gone too deep for your purposes, you simply leave the too deep files out of the blending process. I browse through the stack in FastStone, to find which to leave out of the stack and blending.

Layered Moose