Re: [OM] rare zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] rare zoom
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 14:04:03 +0000
That rare prototype zoom was a 24-40, not 24-48:

http://olypedia.de/S_Zuiko_MC_Auto-Zoom_1:4/24-40_mm

The only one around (serial #xxxxx5) was heavily pimped by Paul Yates (Cogitech
on FredMiranda.com), but his was abused and had haze and other optical defects.
He was still able to flog it for $1600ish on ebay to some sucker.

The reason they weren’t produced more than 5 copies is it wasn’t anything
special. Read the patent, - optically it was only ho-hum at best.

IMNSHO, not even worth bothering with at any price, really.  Now if it was an
85/1.4 GRIN prototype, that might be a different story.

-Ed

>We've discussed the unicorn 24-48 a few times. I think it was
    determined that there were only 3-4 prototypes made that escaped the
    building and somehow ended up in private hands.