Re: [OM] Morning Moon

Subject: Re: [OM] Morning Moon
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 22:36:48 -0800
On 1/27/2018 7:26 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Hi Moose,

The exposure looks fine, to me.  What puzzles me is the difference in orientation in your California moon and the shot I took two days earlier on Thursday.  I realize that the illuminated area gets larger each day, but I always thought that the illumination would come from the same direction.  It was overcast here all day, so I have nothing to directly compare.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20180125-DSCF6127.JPG.html

Look here. <Olympus%20Camera%20Discussion%20%3Colympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%3E>

Your shot isn't quite "upright". I imagine it's easy to miss "level" shooting up with no reference points. Also, the size/shape of the umbra has changed quite a lot in a couple of days.

AANNDD - The images on that site look to be midpoints, as in equinox. The Moon circles the equator, which is tilted relative to the sun and our orbit, so in winter the Sun shines up on the Moon from "below", moving the shadow of a waxing gibbous up/clockwise. You can just see the bottom cusp of the shadow on the left in my shot as a break in the bright circle just below the cloud band..

I can't promise mine is exactly level/upright, as the camera came loose-ish on the head in the dark, and I was working fast to shoot as the Moon moved between tree branches, but the surrounding clouds indicate it's close.

I hope that's it, as it's all the explanation I've got. :-)

Luna Moose