Re: [OM] Stitching program?

Subject: Re: [OM] Stitching program?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 19:59:59 -0800
On 2/1/2018 11:04 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
. . .

Some longer instruments, such as my beloved bassoons, would not fit in a single picture without my backing off and losing too much detail, so I took them in two or three sections, using my knees as a camera elevator. (Ouch!)   Can anyone recommend a stitching program that would put them together again.

I suspect it's not possible to do the instruments justice. You did some "bad" things in taking the shots. There's not enough overlap between shots. The camera is not level, varying between pointed up and down. Look at the metal bands, for example, relatively straight in one shot, curved strongly up or down in the next. Nor is it kept in the same vertical line, so parts of the instruments 'rotate' relative to other shots.

Easy is good.  Free is good, although not too expensive is also OK if it's
worth the money.

PS couldn't automagically match any but two from the first set.

Hugin is the free alternative, and is far more powerful in allowing user engagement in the process. It only understands horizontal, so I rotated the images. Like PS, it only found one pair match on its own. I added control points to connect the third, although the small overlap didn't help. The result was pretty awful.

I don't think a stitching program is going to do you any good. Were they mine, and were it for some reason impossible to get decent images some other way, and were it really important to me, I believe I could put them in layers and use the Edit=>Transform tools in PS to squeeze, stretch, etc. so the images overlapped in not too bad ways to make wholes, sorta.

Here are two sets of three pictures each of some bassoons and contrabassoons to show you what I am dealing with.  I don't care what happens to the backgrounds or the non-subject instruments at the sides of the pictures.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/P6150271.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/P6150270.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/P6150269.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/P6150257.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/P6150256.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/P6150255.jpg.html>

Thanks for any advice.

My advice is to forget these shots, cherish your memories and look elsewhere if
you need coherent images.

Search "Ancient Bassoons" on the web and select 'Images'. There are a lot of
images out there, but unfortunately small.

This site has lots of pix, covering the whole history, but all small.
<http://www.bassoonresource.org/images1700a-f.htm>

The Met only shows a couple of bassoons, but nice pix.
<https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/89.4.884/>

Check out "The Bassoon", by James B. Kopp. <https://www.amazon.com/Bassoon-Yale-Musical-Instrument/dp/0300118295/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517629011&sr=1-12&keywords=bassoon+book>

Visit the MFA in Boston's ancient instruments display. You can see what they have here. <http://www.mfa.org/node/9492Unfortunately, as I recall, there are also problems with lighting and reflections there. I took a few shots in a hurry years ago when I discovered this part and they were closing, but I don't recall what. Nor do I recall what double reeds were on display at that time.

Baritone Moose

PS: Modern instrument with attractive operator. :-)
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9250>