Re: [OM] Snail Mail

Subject: Re: [OM] Snail Mail
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 15:46:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
    If they are dead nuts parallel to the rim they will.  They have to be toed
in slightly to avoid that.  If they are toed out you get a terrible vibration
that will knock your teeth loose.

    In addition, if you are using any of those water-shedding rims like Rigida,
Samir, DEA, Schornoff, and an Italian brand I can't think of, they're going to
"sing" no matter what sort of brake you use.  I love the sound of those, and
you have to be certain that both wheels are the same brand or you'll get two
tones plus a beat note, which is terribly annoying.

>Do Mafac brakes still squeal?
>
>Back in the day when I was cycling a lot, the ongoing joke was, “I hear
>you have Mafac brakes?"
>
>I got so annoyed with someone’s squealing Mafacs on one tour, that at a
>lunch stop, I got out my adjustable wrench and toed them in while the
>owner wasn’t watching. :-)

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson