Re: [OM] Snail Mail

Subject: Re: [OM] Snail Mail
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 07:04:44 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I have yet to understand the purpose of the concave rims, unless it was
meant to provide a wider braking surface.

     I have tossed out (meaning donated) more of those thick thorn-proof tubes
than I care to think of.  I instead use the hard plastic Mr. Tuffy tyre liners,
which are much lighter and don't interfere with taking the tyre on and off.

>Tell me about it. in 1975, I was foolish enough to go touring on sew-ups.
>I call it the year of being “strung out on silks,” where basically every
>dime I didn’t spend on acquiring some ~5,000 calories a day went into
>silk tires. (But I didn’t own a car at the time.)
>
>But by 1976, I came to my senses and switched to clinchers with a single
>fat radial tread (can’t remember the brand), thorn-proof tubes, and
>concave rims. I even drilled and build a 45-spoke wheel on Campy hi-rise
>rims, with all the sprocket-side pulling spokes doubled. Went from
>Reedsport, Oregon to Yorktown, Virginia, carrying ~100 pounds (plus
>rider) without a flat nor a broken spoke.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson