Re: [OM] £ note questions

Subject: Re: [OM] £ note questions
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 16:46:27 -0900
When we moved to Alaska, one of my daughters and I did the drive up
through Canada. We were warned to take tons of Canadian money because
you can't always pay with Credit Card at various gas stations, hotels,
restaurants, etc. It turns out that we were absolutely golden and paid
with the card for everything except for a couple of government
campgrounds that required dollars to be stuffed into an envelope. I
had $20 in Canadian or something like that when I left because I
couldn't get any money exchanged. I'm glad I didn't bother. It was all
good running plastic.

The issue, we discovered, is that not every place will allow for
transactions on Debit Cards. But Credit Cards worked fine. Also,
pay-at-the-pump, in Canada, was with the new chip-readers. It took me
two gas stations to figure that out. Swiping didn't work. In a couple
of cases, AMEX wouldn't work, but VISA would and visa-versa.

My boss, who did the drive a couple months before me, went through
almost $500 in cash in comparison. He was amazed that I managed to
pull it off without spending hardly any. But he didn't camp along the
way like we did.

AG