Re: [OM] Conclusion for Now

Subject: Re: [OM] Conclusion for Now
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 21:07:10 -0800
On 2/23/2018 7:21 PM, Bob Benson wrote:
Ken, I am always interested in that Oly's Viewer 3 is never listed as a
candidate.  I had understood that -- at least as far as Raw conversion is
concerned - this is quite good,

AG made his intentions clear, preferring one app processing from raw to finished image. V3 just isn't that, for many of us; inadequate editing capabilities. For him, in particular, it doesn't do the older 4/3 files.

perhaps the best with Oly cameras.

That all depends on what one wants by default and what one wants to add. Anyone in love with Oly JPEGs is bound to like that it picks up all the in-camera settings and applies them to create the same look. Someone like me, who prefers the Adobe default "look" will be less pleased.

I understand that nothing else is good in terms of processing capabilities,

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean duplicating the JPEG look, sure. If you mean NR, sharpening, LCE, and so on, it's not first rate. It's NR can't touch NeatImage, ACR/LR, PS or DxO, and probably others. It's USM sharpening can't do what deconvolution detail recovery in FocusMagic or Topaz InFocus can do . I'd say highlight recovery is awful - if there were any. :-(ACR/LR/PS can do wonders for my mild over exposures, whether mistakes or intentional, to get wider DR in one shot - because I know what my Raw converter can do.

Anyway, you get the idea, it's decent to good in most editing functions, but not first tier. Adobe isn't the leader in some of those areas, either, but has plug-in capabilities that make them available within their LR/PS.

but I find that doing Raw conversion with Viewer, saved to TIFF files, then
using LR and FM for downstream processing, was pretty good.

If you like it, it's great for you! That's what matters.

The batch processing works well.

So does that in some other conversion/editors.

For those of us who don't only use relatively recent Oly bodies, it's also inconvenient. If I use V3 for µ4/3 ORFs, which are indeed the large majority of files I work with, I have to keep sharp on at least one other app to process the Panny and Sony files. Life is SO MUCH easier using only one app for almost all processing, particularly when it's really first rate in capabilities, speed, quality of results, etc.

When I went digital, I left OM for Canon; even the consumer 300D could do things I wanted that the E-1 and it's original lenses couldn't. When I switched from Canon to µ4/3, I didn't need to learn a whole new UI and how the various tools worked. Later, I used to use an E-M5 and a Panny GX7 side by side, and could process both kinds of Raw files the same way.

Stay Flexible Moose