[OM] Table Top stuff

Subject: [OM] Table Top stuff
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 09:14:05 -0900
I'll probably post a picture or two, along with a write-up on Zone-10
about it, but I had to do some stock photography stuff last night. A
seemingly simple setup. One Monolight in a softbox tilted down 45
degrees above and behind the subject, facing the camera which is also
tilted down towards the subject.

White subject on white paper with high-key lighting.

I started out with the Canon 6D, but quickly ran into issue after
issue. The 6D fights you every step of the way when trying to work
with external flash. Once you resolve one thing, another crops up. My
level of frustration went over the top when one of my OM Zuikos
stopped focusing correctly and locked up internally.

So, I switched over to the Olympus E-3, popped an OM Zuiko 50/1.4 and
extension tube on it and later the 100/2 and cruised along just
swimmingly. The working methods and procedures with a true
professional-grade camera are so much better than a prosumer-grade
camera masquerading as a professional-grade camera. Having finished
the primary assignment, I photographed a few other items and had a
little fun before packing everything up.

In the computer, I worked several of the images "straight", but also
did some focus-stacks. I planned for the focus-stacks and they did
very well. In this specific case, I was able to achieve an end result
that I haven't been able to without full lens movements.

I hadn't used focus-stacking in anger for quite a long time. When it
works, it works well...

AG Schnozz