Re: [OM] Canon lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Canon lens
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 09:30:23 -0800
> How about this for an all-purpose travel lens?

Well, I thought my back was hurting before... Broadcast lenses have
always been humongous and expensive beasts. There really is a lot of
high-end technology in them. And there is a lot of learning experience
packed into them. There was one particular Olympics, I think it was
Lake Placid in 1980, that had an unending series of camera and lens
failures for ABC. Some died of moisture intrusion, others died because
the lubricant seized up in the cold. It was triage and they ended up
using standard ENG cameras just to make it through to the end. It was
the final winter Olympics that the camera platforms were
"afterthoughts" and over the next couple of winter Olympics, things
really changed. By the time NBC got the contract, camera platforms
FINALLY were equipped with normal things like power outlets.

I'm not remembering which one it was, but in preparation, they had
wired the slopes with fiber-optic cables for the cameras during the
summer. However, instead of using proper utility ducts, the contractor
used in-building conduit. Everything was shredded.

AG Schnozz