Re: [OM] Recycling

Subject: Re: [OM] Recycling
From: Jan Steinman via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:09:22 -0700
Cc: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I just repurposed a Toshiba Satellite laptop from Windows 8.1 to Kali
> Linux. The speed/performance/thrash difference is staggering. As bad
> as XP is (and it's pretty bad), nothing compares to the utter pig that
> 8.1 is.

That’s sad.

I just installed Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.3) on an unsupported nine-year-old
machine (my daily driver, a MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Xenon with 12 GB) using
an excellent patch kit that dosdude1.com posted. And conversely, the difference
in performance is staggering, in the opposite direction! Things are much faster
than they were with Yosemite (10.10.5), the last “supported” OS for my machine.

People complain about the higher cost of Macs, but they seem to last about
twice as long. I run four different imaging apps (Aurora, Graphic Converter,
Luminar, and ON1) and hugin compositing/stacking software, all fairly snappy.
Video can be a bit slow, but I’m editing with DaVinci Resolve with only a few
coffee breaks... :-)

PS: if you do the dosdude patches, follow them EXACTLY! My extensive cockpit
problems were being impatient, thinking, “Oh, I don’t need to do THAT!” Yes,
you do. Also, don’t use cheap Chinese USB drives for the install medium. Half
of them won’t actually hold the advertised capacity, and the other half are
molasses slow. I finally took the Lexar SDXCII 150 MB card out of my OM-D
E-M1.2 and put it in a USB reader, and my remaining problems went away. Life is
too short for slow SD cards! Also, if you are upgrading a big disk (as opposed
to wiping and clean-installing), don’t be fooled by “32 minutes remaining” and
let it run overnight. In general, patience wins.

Jan