Re: [OM] Wine bottle label

Subject: Re: [OM] Wine bottle label
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 11:50:34 -0700
On 3/17/2018 8:52 AM, Mike Bloor wrote:
Any ideas on this problem? I want to photograph a wine bottle label. The label
wraps around the whole bottle. Of course I could drink the wine, soak the label
and try and remove it, dry it and flatten it.

The better way is to pour very hot water carefully into the bottle to above the top of the label, keeping the label dry (funnel helps). Doesn't have to be boiling. We have no young children in the house, so I have the water heater set hot. The heat will release the glue and the label comes off much more easily and in much better condition.

It would be much more fun though if I can photograph it in situ. I have an E-M5
II to do this with.

I've done that with a small, cylindrical object, rotating it slightly for a lot of shots, then combining them. (Did I use the PS panorama stitching?) It worked, but was mote trouble than I liked.

For a wine bottle, I just remove the label and scan it. No lens distortion, no imperfect squareness, perspective distortion, etc.

Flat Bed Moose