Re: [OM] MIKE WAS PIERS LR and PS WAS More Bangkok [was IMG: Street Food

Subject: Re: [OM] MIKE WAS PIERS LR and PS WAS More Bangkok [was IMG: Street Food
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 09:21:00 -0800
> I have no share in Adobe’s business. Their products have always proved
> useful, reliable, and most importantly exceed my expectations and open new
> horizons (face recognition being the last one I experimented).
> I consider that a subscription fee is marginal compared to what I (or Alice)
> spend on the gear, the trips we make, and more importantly, the family
> gatherings we throw; all things considered, we’ve already spent more on just
> chocolate eggs and bunnies this Easter for the pack, than the annual cost for
> LR …
> LR simply is part of a prolonged pleasure when the gorgeously nasty weather
> and/or time allow me to take care of my life long hobby.

While there is some price adjustment supposed to be coming, my
subscription has been costing me $10 a month. That's significantly
less than what the upgrade treadmill cost for Photoshop alone.

A couple months ago I did a comparative of alternative products. The
end result, as far as running costs are concerned, is a wash. But
Lightroom/PhotoshopCC is significantly more complete than the others
are right now. Next year? Who knows. I think the time is right for a
competitor to hit their stride and overtake the Adobe monopoly, but in
order to do so, they have to be good at everything, not just some
things. The reality is that the only company that can beat Adobe is
Adobe. If they keep trying to push the new Lightroom before it's ready
for prime-time and force us off of "classic" too soon, it will result
in a massive backlash.

Meanwhile, I've split my library up into smaller chunks. That last
major upgrade trashed my library. It was bad.

AG Schnozz