Re: [OM] 20mm f2 and Lieberkuhn Lighting

Subject: Re: [OM] 20mm f2 and Lieberkuhn Lighting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 16:30:51 -0700
On 3/15/2018 4:40 PM, Moose wrote:

I posted a picture of my macro set-up using a small light table, rather than transilluminator base, mirror, etc. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22751>

I also mentioned that I had ordered a 3D printed Lieberkühn reflector from the source that Jan had mentioned. <https://www.shapeways.com/product/58PBZMAMX/lieberkuhn-reflector-49mm-lens-diameter-f-35mm?productConfiguration=42281834&etId=183962598&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=5>

The reflector is slightly imperfect, compared to what Oly made. There was a little over spray, little nodules, on the end of the threads, and it took careful work with X-acto  knife to clean up. Even then, it's a little trickier, more delicate, to screw on than the 18/3.5 49-72 mm hood.

OTOH, it works quite well. I have no idea whether a different focal length would work better, nor does it seem important. Perhaps with the complex, tricky illumination of the past, it mattered more than with bright, flat, even illumination?

I set up my new 20/2, 65-116 tube and Sony A7 on the Oly VST-1 Macro Photo Stand, with magnification of 9.4x (one of my subjects was a micro ruler.)

I put a small, opaque subject on the light. Sans reflector, it was almost black through the viewfinder, and would take a long, multi-second exposure. With reflector in place, exposure was 2 sec., ISO 100, f2.8 and light nice and even across the frame.

Altogether a nice solution to illuminating small, opaque macro subjects.

Super Macro Moose