Re: [OM] From Inches to Infinity

Subject: Re: [OM] From Inches to Infinity
From: Jan Steinman via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 10:59:27 -0700
Cc: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> I was doing some non-critical stuff for web, and had the dimensions set to
>> 1024 wide. Then I forgot, and shot an entire one-time concert that one of
>> our foreign homestay students was playing in.
>
> This is pure foolishness. I ALWAYS shoot Raw. I may very occasionally shoot
> Raw + JPEG of one sort or another, but it
> doesn't matter if I forget to turn the JPEGs off. You can even throw the Raws
> away later, but you ensure always having
> 'em if needed.

Different strokes for different folks.

I prefer to spend as little time in post as possible. If I know something will
never be used larger than 1024, then why should I spend hours or even minutes
capturing 20 million pixels, and then throwing 96% of them away?

I know you have an elaborate backup system and that you save just about
everything. And I’m somewhat envious of your discipline!

But I have too many things going on in my life, and have become a ruthless
editor. And the fewer I have to throw away, the more time I have for other
pursuits.

The only time I ever shoot RAW is if I know in advance that I want to make a
huge print of it. This is, in a way, a different kind of discipline, and I find
myself being fairly discerning with the shutter button. Yea, I miss some stuff
this way. But I’d miss the time it takes even more to go through the 90% of
“bad shots.”

And thanks for the tip about paying attention to the info in the viewfinder. I
can’t very well boast about having “viewfinder discipline” if I screw that up,
can I? :-)

Jan