Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 13:26:23 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson     Here too.  I've seen numerous engine failure
photos, but I cannot remember one such as this.

     More photos are coming available on the BBC.  There's quite a bit of
damage along the leading edge of the wing.  They are fortunate that it could
still be operated for approach and landing.

     I can't get anything other than the BBC here on dialup, so there may be
additional photos available on US domestic news services.

>The nature of that failure has me worried. It's fairly obvious that it
>was the comresssor section, and that's good as there is no fue involved
>there, but it is a sign of damage, either from something like seized
>bearings (poor maintenance) or FOD (keep the runways clean, idiots.) If
>this was a bird, it was one of those flying dinosaurs, not a robin or
>duck or goose.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson