Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 17:17:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     According to what I read earlier, the engine is a CFM56.  That engine has
been around in one form or another for decades.  USAF used it when they
overhauled the aging KC-135s, so I heard.  The ANG unit here in Phoenix was one
of the first units to get them.  Doing that allowed thm to do away with the
water injection needed to increase thrust for takeoff with a full fuel load.

>Thanks, Ken.  I bookmarked the site.
>
>> avherald.com
>>
>> That's the place to go for aviation news.
>>
>> Evidently, they were climbing through FL320 when the engine
>> experienced Rapid Unintentional Disassembly and when the window blew,
>> the rapid decompression meant that the pilots needed to initiate an
>> immediate decent. (that explains the sudden drop in altitude). They
>> had an indication of a fire in the left engine nacelle, so they didn't
>> waste any time getting the wheels on the ground.
>>
>> Surprising that the destroyed window and deceased passenger were
>> located far aft of the engine.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson