Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Southwest Airlines Engine Explosion
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 16:13:31 +0100
Yes, I’ve heard the flying to the crash before :-)

But most pilots will put the tail down first: you have to land any aircraft
with the nose high to arrest the rate of descent.  But I would have thought
that Sully had to avoid too high a nose so that the there was not too much
strain on the rear fuselage.  I thought at the time that he must have been very
clever (or lucky) to get just the right combination of high enough angle of
attack (to reduce the rate of descent to a minimum) but not so high as to risk
breaking the aircraft and causing a faster sinking.

Chris