[OM] Smart Phone Cameras

Subject: [OM] Smart Phone Cameras
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:45:18 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     To make a long story short, I have a ZTE N817 smart phone that a homeless
person threw at me.  Yeah.  I did try to contact the person it was stolen from,
but the contact number had been disconnected.  So, I have a free Android smart
phone.  Sadly, I cannot use it as a BYOP as the Virgin Wireless system it was
previously used on is not compatable with the Tracfone system.  Virgin Wireless
accounts start at $50/month, whereas my simple flip phone is $10/month.  But, I
can use the smart phone for 911 calls and I can have internet access by way of
wifi, and the camera has video capability.

     The camera in this has lots of interesting functions, but the 1.92M sensor
makes it all but useless.  I am, however, getting familiar with the controls,
and I'm finding that this could actually be pretty useful even without being
able to use it as a phone.

     Tracfone presently has a deal going on for the ZTE Majesty Plus (Z899VL)
phone for $29.99, which has a 5M camera with more features plus a flash.  If I
went that route I wouldn't bother activating it as it's still 2-3 times the
monthly cost, most of which is for data.

     There is an app called LocOf, which is a real-time GPS tracker.  It does
not need an internet connection to collect the GPS data.  I'm going to look
into this as it would be very useful.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson