[OM] Geocoding [was B&H Photo]

Subject: [OM] Geocoding [was B&H Photo]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 22:33:36 -0700
On 4/22/2018 1:56 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Why would I need to know the latitude and longitude of my photos? It is enough
for me to know in which city or area of a city I was so that I can caption
reasonably accurately.

Some of us don't only shoot in cities. Some shoot where there are no roads, or where the road details may fade in memory. Some of us may have a file system by date, not city. Some of us may not remember every location in every city where we have shot photos.

This fellow, for example, was shot in a field in a remote, sparsely populated part of Bhutan. The road has no name I know of, and the nearest thing to a town is miles away across a river ford. Lat/Long is a really good way to know where it is. If you click on the info button - there's a map. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/uoht2qYyq2A6KZJT2>

To get to this abandoned mine in the Mojave Desert one goes along a dirt road with a name, then down another with a number, although Google Maps doesn't seem to know it. Pretty hard to know where it is except with geocoding. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/IAj3YGaudRuHLGgh1>

Places like this have roads, but they aren't all labeled, on maps or in person, and it's not uncommon to not know how to get there from here. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/itoHa8MhXezynnaI3>

Driving the roads of the US West is not like cycling Jutland. Hiking the trails of Acadia or Glacier NPs, and many others, without GPS, it's easy to become unclear on just where one is.

You don't need to know, I do. The way you photograph and the way you document your journey through life is fine, and fun to follow, but not the way for me.

With geocoded photos and the LR Maps function, I can easily locate all shots I've taken in any particular place. That's wonderful for me, especially as I revisit many locations when the season, light, etc. is different.

Pin Point Moose