Re: [OM] Geocoding

Subject: Re: [OM] Geocoding
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 14:20:26 -0700
I see the new Montana 680 has an 8mp camera however the 610 is the same but lacking the camera and is 50 bucks cheaper.  Seems a bit much for a mediocre camera. More importantly new models do GLONASS sats which gives a lot more options when only viewing a sliver of sky. Might help with multi-path error too. Don't bother paying for the loaded maps. The free ones are fine or buy what you want later. I got the "t" suffix unit with the preloaded TOPO U.S. 100K maps which I hardly ever use. Glad it came on sale otherwise not worth it. Be sure to get the free year Birdseye imagery subscription. You can download all you want and save to disk. With a bit of digging you can figure out Garmin's gobble-gook file naming system which tries to hide the files from all but the cognoscenti and then you can rename to suit. For vehicle use I have the OEM mount which has a speaker for verbal routing. We could even have Sean Connery give us directions in Scotland :) If you want more info about available maps email off list.

  Just reading MikeL's note on the Montana. That's one that I'm looking
at. I like the feature set and the display size is definitely big for
hiking, but about right for multi-use (driving).

AG Schnozz