Re: [OM] DxO tits up ??

Subject: Re: [OM] DxO tits up ??
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 15:51:42 -0700
On 4/23/2018 1:19 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Sounds like they are in some type of bankruptcy and/or restructuring.
Too bad. Hope they come out stronger.
Honestly, I don't think so. I'm not seeing them come back from this.
The developer staff will hit the road and the software will digress
into sustain mode. I don't mean to be dark about this, but I feel like
I gave their software a fair study this year and found it lacking in
significant areas.

I agree

Areas that Adobe has insurmountable strength in.

And yet . . .

Their pro NR, while less than on some images, whacks color noise/false colors on some that neither NeatImage or Adobe manage to do well.

Their lens profiles are far superior to the LenFuns being added to OP, ON1, etc. and the makers profiles in µ4/3 in V3, SilkyP, ACR/LR. The ability to let correction increase horizontal size, rather than crop, is wonderful.

I did my part, paying for the PhotoLab upgrade. Wasn't enough. We went out to dinner Saturday at a favorite restaurant. One reason it's a favorite is that it's never crowded. Of the places with food we like, it's our choice for Fri/Sat night. That did worry us, and rightly so. The owner came over to tell us this was its last night, after 17 years. Entropy's a bitch.

But - they never got the uncropped profiles working in their new PhotoLab, so I'm still using Pro 11. Something as good may often be done with PTLens, but it's more fuss and bother.

DxO's strengths are constantly being addressed by Adobe too. Somehow,
I think that this coincides with Adobe's latest release of ACR/Lightroom.

I wonder whether it isn't a failure of their gamble in integrating the Nik stuff. Even if they didn't pay much for it, there must have been significant costs to work it into the program.

I do hope if they fold that the lens profiles are picked up by someone else and
kept up to date.

x O Moose