Re: [OM] Knik River Bridge - Glenn Highway

Subject: Re: [OM] Knik River Bridge - Glenn Highway
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 23:40:56 -0800
The bridge has a little bit of that "urban decay" look to it. It's
basically right at the boundary of the tidal marsh, so it gets
brackish water flowing one way and glacial silt the other.

But the issue of "having nice things" doesn't seem to be the "Alaska
Way".  Alaska is a perfect case study for Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs
in chaos. Alaskans seem to put priority on the bottom of the pyramid
(Physiological needs: food, water, warmth, rest) and the top of the
pyramid (Self-actualization: achieving one's full potential, including
creative activities) and skip the esteem, belongingness/love, and
safety needs.  When Maslow developed his pyramid, he obviously never
met an Alaskan.

I'm slowly realizing that Alaska really is an entirely different
country that just happens to use American Currency. While we could get
all high-minded about graffiti on a rusty bridge, we're probably more
concerned about the hundreds of car/moose accidents in the past year
within two miles of that bridge.

AK Schnozz