Re: [OM] Waay OT--suggestions on motion detector/photocell to trigger ou

Subject: Re: [OM] Waay OT--suggestions on motion detector/photocell to trigger outdoor post lamp
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 10:42:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
     Hmmm...  I used to design microwave motion detectors for a living and came
away with a good deal of knowledge as to what works and what doesn't.  A simple
photocell activated switch would take care of the automatic dark function, but
to detect motion cheaply you would be best with an infrared detector.

     A cost-effetive approach would be to use a wall switch that includes a
timer, which takes care of the day/night issue.  Then use one or two infrared
detector(s) at the light post to take care of the motion issue.

>Nor'easter took out two cherry trees out front.  Replaced one but plan to
>put a light post for the driveway in the other bed.  It seems best to
>have an indoor switch  (read fish wires) but outdoor motion trigger with
>adjustable sensitivity and included photocell to only put it on in the
>dark with motion.
>
>I found some on amazon but many don't seem designed for outdoors and
>often don't work with LED's---odd in this day and age.  I found some
>"smart bulbs" that are wifi enabled but none of these gizmos seem to be so.
>Any suggestions or at least where to look?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson