Re: [OM] IMG: iPhone 6 Closeup

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: iPhone 6 Closeup
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 08:38:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I have no intention of becoming an appaholic, but I do find the GPS
capability very useful.  The GPSTest app is more useful than my Garmin GPS
receiver as I can see GPS, Glonass (Russian), and Gallileo (ESA) satellites,
which speeds up the acquisition.  Plus I can save waypoints to a text file.

     It took me quite a while to hack Oruxmaps and restore the Google Maps that
they were forced to remove after Google cried foul over copyright infringement.
 I managed to find a substitute directory file, but it accessed Google Maps in
Russian.  Turns out Google has about 48 languages for the maps, which I learned
on an Android developers website.  I've set mine for British (UK) english.

>Thanks, Chris.  Mine is a couple of generations back, but serves me
>well.  The camera is not as useful for closeups as I thought it might
>be, but the overall photo quality is fine.  It has a lot of features
>that I will never make use of, but who cares.  However, with iPhones,
>one must be wary of updates.  Some are not ready for prime time, and
>others cause problems.  Fortunately, my eldest son screens them
>carefully, so I wait for his advice.
>
>>       I'm much impressed with the overall quality of the photos I've
>>seen recently from iPhones.  The smartass phone that was thrown at me
>>has a 1.92M camera, which is pretty useless.  But, I have managed to
>>make full use of the GPS for cycling.  I'm using Oruxmaps, and I
>>edited the online maps file so I can have full access to Google Maps
>>which won't expire after three hours.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson