Re: [OM] IMG: Ancient Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Ancient Kodachrome
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 09:55:08 -0800
> The colors in the old Kodachromes look just like they always have.  It's a
> pain to scan them since you can't use the IR scratch and dust removal on
> Kodachromes or B&W - my two favorites.  It takes hours to spot these.

I've been scanning mine with Vuescan. B&W is still a bit of a pain,
but the Kodachromes are cleaning up rather nicely. I end up with just
a little more spotting than I do with my 6D files. Also, I finally
managed to stumble onto a setting that makes the colors look better.
Kodachrome has some color shifts when scanning that just don't
modernize well. I'm finding the green channel is extremely finicky and
requires a curves adjustment separate from the rest of the image. I'm
able to do everything I need now right in Lightroom with only the very
rare edit in Photoshop.

The one oddity about Kodachrome that I've finally managed to run
headlong into is the acutance. With my new scan settings I'm getting a
lot more unsharp rimming than ever before. As a result, I can't apply
much of any sharpening to the image except to tighten the grain. Part
of the issue is that Kodachrome naturally has high acutance, but the
other issue is refraction on high contrast edges. Add to that

The reality is that I've put the kibosh on further Kodachrome scanning
until I acquire an alternative to the Nikon. I'm getting far too much
flare and that forces the images to be processed straight with very
little artistic interpretation allowed. If I can keep things "flat",
the flare is usually not a problem. But you all know that I can't
leave anything alone.

AG Schnozz