[OM] Hair shirt? Nah...

Subject: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 18:50:59 -0700
It's been suggested that I would have done better shooting color, multiple cameras, and a zoom or two on my eastern Washington trip. The problem is that I don't have multiple mirrorless cameras and zoom lenses from 8 - 500mm. I've always been a fast primes kind of guy. That's mostly what I have, for both my Oly E-M5 and my Leica RFs. I like to travel light, especially with the shoulder and knee problems I've had in recent years.

I had been toying with the idea of "taking a vow" of B&W for some time. I happen to like B&W.  It is my "roots."  I decided to try it out on this trip because the original excuse for the trip was to see Grand Coulee Dam and photograph it from the inside and outside. I also wanted to see what I could do in B&W and a yellow filter with the landscapes and clouds.  Eastern Washington is not that colorful. The rocks are mostly black basalt. The hillsides are pale green (they will burn out to brown in the next month). I figured that I could emphasize line, form, and texture rather than color.

What we didn't know until we got to Chelan was that Grand Coulee's spillways were not open, and the tour was severely restricted by security concerns and construction. They don't take you into the powerhouse nor on top of the dam. Cameras were allowed, but not camera bags. We heard this from people who had already gone there. So we decided not to go to Grand Coulee, but to Chief Joseph Dam instead.  There, I got to see everything I wanted to see inside and outside the dam, but no pictures were allowed within the secure zone around the dam or inside the dam itself. So I had to be satisfied with what I could get in the public areas near the outside end of spillway, and above it. Frankly, I'm happy with what I got there, as I am with most of the Lake Chelan pictures I posted.

Obviously, the bear picture would have been better with a long lens. But since the Leica Monochrom camera I used has no anti-alias filter and no color interpolation effects, results are often good even at 100%. I posted it not because it was a masterpiece, but because I thought you all would enjoy seeing a bear swimming in the wild.

Should I upgrade my micro 4/3 kit at some point?  Maybe. I've thought about upgrading the E-M5 to a Mark II or even an E-M1 Mark II. I've thought about getting the 14-40/2.8 Pro and 40-150/4-5.6 zooms. I had a 40-150 with my E-30, and I liked it, when I could bring myself to carry it. As I get older and equipment breaks or ages out, who knows...

--Peter