Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hair shirt? Nah...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 21:19:59 -0700
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

As MikeL and I have suggested, consider the possibility of a slower zoom... The
Oly 14-150 on the GM5 is a surrogate for
the Panny 14-140...
On a whim, I got a Oly 14-150 for a great price, thinking I'd only use it for
family events and such. But that sucker is so small and light -- and has very
reasonable image quality -- that I find myself using it more and more. It
rarely leaves the bag.

I guess I might feel differently if I had a fast lens with that zoom range, but
there ain't one! I'd have to carry TWO big, heavy, fast zooms to cover that
range!

It is also weather sealed (unlike, I think, the Panny 14-140),

Correct. The second version of the Panny is smaller, lighter and a teensy bit faster than the first, but still not weatherized. But then, neither is the body I use it on.

I've tried a lot of different cameras for a light, compact kit with full IQ. The E-PM2 was a great little body, with the minimum controls needed and no extras to get mis-set in handling. But a fixed EVF only body doesn't work in some light, the add-on EVF was physically awkward, makes the package bulkier, and you have to push a button to switch to and from it.

The E-PL6 adds a tilt screen and works well with the VF-4 and eye switching, which is the same EVF as the E-M1 & 5 bodies, and the E-PL7 adds more/better IBIS. But the EVF is still awkward, and suddenly the whole package is larger and heavier. The "7" goes on trips, as third body for 7-14 and Fishy, with the VF-4 along to allow it to back-up the big brothers.

My answer was finally found with the Panny GM5. OK, the EVF isn't big, but it works for me. The body is tiny and light, so no IBIS. I'd been happy with my 14-150 I, but switched to the Panny 14-140 II for the rather good Power OIS.

and "Movie-Still Compatible," Olympus's moniker for lenses that focus super
fast and super quiet.

I think it's about quiet and lack of vibration. I don't believe focus speed is improved. Both lenses are quick focusing. The Panny is soft away from center wide open, long end, closest focus. I just don't recall that setting of the 14-150. I know I used it successfully with an extension tube a few times. Then again, the sort of subjects I shoot that way usually don't have anything but the central area in focus.

After some testing, the 14-140 travels with a companion Oly B-Macro H.Q.
Converter f=40cm for excellent C-U/macro.

If I limit myself to two lenses, it's the 14-150 plus the 7-14.

For the compact kit, I lean to the Oly 9-18, for size and weight, but prefer
the Panny 7-14 as a lens.

No Downpours Moose