Re: [OM] Zuikofest Alaska

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikofest Alaska
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 22:49:21 -0700
On 5/29/2018 5:35 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Moose stomped:
I imagine the write-ups about other parks are similarly sloppy and
incomplete.
Pretty much.

There are a handful of National Parks that I've gotten to know quite
well. Or at least adequately enough to be reasonably assured of
knowing where/when to go.

. . . Isle Royale isn't for everybody (hiking and drowning in
canoes is required), so that limits the type of people who can go
there.

Not for us. Flew over it once, five miles up. :-)

Smoky Mountain National Park.

This was my first Eastern park. I didn't get it. Where are the mountains?

Massive crowds and stupid drivers. You
can walk the Cades Cove loop faster than you can drive it.

The week before Christmas, it's deserted.

But
Cataloochee doesn't even show up on most maps.

There are numerous state parks that I think rank well with the
national parks, if not a little better.

Same here. Calaveras Big Trees SP is in some ways better than the Mariposa
Grove in Yosemite and the groves in Sequoia NP.

Humboldt Redwoods SP gives nothing away to Redwoods NP, and has an excellent (unmarked) swimming hole. Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP is no slouch, either.

Anza Borrego SP is a huge, wildly varied desert park. A stunning place that we've hardly begun to explore. One problem is that it gets hot whenever we drop by. Late March, the day we drove in, temps leapt from upper 70s to low 100s. Hiking in the desert in those temps is tough. We'll try again.

Fabulous rock formations and Joshua Trees? Red Rock Canyon SP has 'em, not just
Joshua Tree NM.

I suspect it's similar all over.

State Your Park Moose