Re: [OM] OT: Getting Away From It All

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Getting Away From It All
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 17:20:19 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>> It ruins the place for me, Moose. It?s no longer necessary to conduct such
>> mass killing.
>
> ... move the slaughter into the public viewing--the rules change.

My personal ethic is that if I want to eat meat, I have to be willing to kill
it.

We hatch our own chickens and breed our own dairy goats. Both dairy and eggs
have the "excess males problem."

A couple times a year, we put cockerels in canning jars. But I have not brought
myself to slaughter a goat, yet. However, we do sell them to people who eat
them.

A big part of the problems of this world is that people don't have to face the
consequences of their actions. If everyone had to slaughter, butcher, and eat a
living animal, I'm pretty sure meat consumption would go way down.

There are a lot of other examples I could go into, but this is a photography
email list, no?

Obligatory photography remark: just got a used Sigma 4.5mm f2.8 fisheye that
projects a complete circle on a micro 4/3rds sensor. So far, I'm pretty much
underwhelmed. And what were they thinking when they decided to not make it in a
micro 4/3rds sensor? All the models supported are APS-C or bigger; I imagine
there's quite a bit of extra black space when used on APS-C.

The Canon EF autofocus adapter for this lens cost almost as much as the entire
Meike 6.5mm partial fisheye I bought new, which IS in a MFT mount, but cuts off
the top and bottom, as it was obviously designed for APS-C. Boggles the mind...

So far, the Meike seems the much better lens, despite being 1/5th the list
price... but it isn't quite a circular fisheye, either.

Suffering the consequences of my actions, I guess... :-)

Jan