Re: [OM] Bagpipes [was A tale of too many tripods]

Subject: Re: [OM] Bagpipes [was A tale of too many tripods]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 11:35:15 -0700
On 6/8/2018 10:42 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
You want to know the history?

The founders of Benbo sold out to a big distributor, who proceeded to thin
the range, move production from UK to China, and cheapen the product. And go
into bankruptcy.

These lesser lights are still being sold.

The founders set up a new company in 1991 to refine the
original Benbo design in light of user experience, and recommenced
production in UK.

This part I knew.

That company appears to be Indian owned, according to
http://www.photoscala.de/2008/10/17/uni-loc-stative-in-zweiter-generation-ak
tualisiert/ (in German)

Well, he says British Indian. But that was ten years ago.

If you want the "real thing", get a Uni-Loc.

That's why I paid more for one than an original Benbo #1.

Some friends swear by them. Others swear at them :)

I'm good, so far. I have a soft spot for quirky. :-)

http://www.uniloctripod.com/UNI-LOC%20History.html - and note the 20th
century website design!

The whole impression I get is that everything on the web from Uni-Lock is really old, and that tripods and parts may not actually still be being made. Looking at the tripod, though, I don't see anything likely to fail.

Q. Moose