Re: [OM] AK Driving

Subject: Re: [OM] AK Driving
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 17:03:09 -0700
On 6/14/2018 8:59 AM, Bob Benson wrote:
As you all know,  we drove up and back (with the help of the AK Maritime
Ferry coming back) in 27 days in 2017 (it took 8 of the days to get from
Kansas to Canada and back, 4 each way, by way of the major national
parks.)   Life changing, actually.

Just one more day ?   Nah ... we're going to do it again in 2019, taking 40
days.   I learned that the problem is, by planning a drive as primarily a
driving event means there's too little time to stop and, well, smell the
roses.   In 2017 every day required driving (we drove 11000 miles) which
limited stop times

Aye, there's the rub. Extrapolating from our 2013 trip to Glacier, just using GMaps driving times, it would take us 62 days travel time, up and back, plus time spent in Anchorage area.

"Man, it's nice here, let's stay another day."
"Another day."
"Lets go see . . ."

Sure, it's possible to go faster, but where's the fun (and photos) in that? Even on our leisurely Glacier trip, there were days of all driving and almost no pictures.

. . .

BTW: as we get older,  it seems important to do these things while we're
reasonably able.

Yup. Ireland this Fall, Bhutan II in the Spring.

Travelin' (Slowly) Moose