Re: [OM] Solstice Evening

Subject: Re: [OM] Solstice Evening
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 13:39:25 -0700
On 6/24/2018 5:04 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Moose of the World wrote:
'Twere mine, I'd do something like these.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/Solstice_Evening.htm>

First opens up the landscape portion and makes the sky a purer blue. Second
goes for a little more drama in the landscape.

Of course, I ended up with seven layers and five different masks, so I can
see why many wouldn't bother. :-)
VERY interesting. Your final take was almost the same as my
"preferred" version from Lightroom.

It would be interesting to see a comparison.

I actually toned it down because I
felt like I've been cranking the volume to 11 on too many photographs,
so I backed off the settings to what I posted.

Perhaps your 11 is my 7? ;-)

As to masks, layers, yada yada, the nice thing is that you can do most
of that natively in Lightroom now.

I would phrase that as "I can . . .", or "One may . . .", because I can't. :-)  I imagine I could learn to, but can't imagine why I would want to leave a tool I know intimately for a new learning curve. I'm such an innocent in LR that I had to scratch my head to figure out how to open Jim's Beechcraft photo in LR. Is it true that one may not just open an image into LR without importing it?

On some of these, I'm doing quite a bit of altered processing between different
areas of the image.

Once done with some of that, may one back off or increase one step, without
affecting the later ones? I do that, a lot.

It depends on my mood, though. Often times--especially with the Alaska
landscapes, it's too easy to overdo the processing. It's a fine line
between Oh and Uh Oh.

Actually, about the only time I object to your slider bender images is when the horizon line has a halo and/or sky through trees is blacked out. Things soooo easily avoided in PS.

P. S. Moose