Re: [OM] IMG: Personalized Beech Baron

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Personalized Beech Baron
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 21:58:49 -0700
On 6/25/2018 12:22 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
But why on earth don’t you, young lad, trust thel fuji WB - it works wonders
99% of the time :-)

I NEVER adjust WB in LR. It simply doesn’t work. AS IS s my motto - with some
exceptions though …
;-)
With the latest/greatest versions of Lightroom CC, I've changed my
ways and I now have Auto-WB set on my cameras. Probably 50% of the
time it does better than any of the Lightroom WB settings. This is a
dramatic improvement because until the update where Adobe created the
new profiles, the in-camera WB was never usable.

Tint me mystificated. Unless I am indoors, with what's clearly tungsten lighting (and I forget to set that half the time, anyway), I always use Daylight WB setting on the cameras.

The underlying point of WB "correction" is to render subject color balance as though it were shot in midday sunlight - the "true" color of the subject. I almost always want to see the color of the subject(s) in the light in which I saw and photographed them.

Take a picture in the rain, using a color reference, correct it to get the reference "correct", and you get a weird looking photo, where the color doesn't match what I know such things look like in the rain.

Do I mess with WB, absolutely, but not very often, and rather gently.

Generally speaking, Lightroom's "Daylight" setting is far too blue.
The "Cloudy" is skewed in the green-magenta line (the shadow
adjustment in the converter profile helps sometimes) and "Auto" is far
too warm. It's particularly awful with the 6D and E-3 files. The E-1
and L1 files are actually pretty close with the Daylight setting and
only need a small bit of warm up.

I am working with the same underlying engine in ACR for color balance as you are in LR. I'd guess that 80-90% of the time in outdoor shots, the "As Shot" setting for shots taken with Daylight set in the cameras is just right. That is not the same as the "Daylight" ACR/LR setting, which is less often right to my eye, although the difference is generally subtle.

. . .

Day Lit Moose