Re: [OM] Phones

Subject: Re: [OM] Phones
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 13:44:23 -0400
I use it mainly to keep up with my 4 kids and 6 grandkids.  They are all
(except the babies) on iPhones and text messaging all the time.  If I
depended on phone calls or e-mails, I would never know what is going on
around here!!  My son and his family are driving up from Charleston and
keeping me advised of their progress on Waz so I can have lunch ready when
they get here ;-)

That's just an example of how I can't do without the phone.

Tina

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > It's ridiculous how dependent I am on this phone.  I can't do anything
> > without it!!
>
> Henry Ford is rumoured to have said, "If you find an employee
> indispensable, fire him immediately."
>
> I get along just fine without a smart phone. Part of that is because I
> know I'm a tech-addict, and I don't need any other time-suckage in my life.
> I know I'd get hooked.
>
> But another, bigger part of it is that, without the addiction, I can see
> better. I feel like the kid in the movie Sixth Sense: "I see dead people!"
> They're like zombies, walking along while looking at their tiny screens,
> running into lamp posts and other Smart Phone Zombies.
>
> Then there's the "twitchers," who are like a junkie needing a fix. You see
> them in places where phones are not allowed, like concerts, lectures,
> dinner tables, etc. They have this vacant look in their eyes, like they've
> lost the ability to breathe without their little pseudo-tamaguchi. You see
> them grab at their pant pocket, expecting the fix to be there, but it isn't.
>
> And I really just don't want to be that "in touch." When I go to the
> greenhouse, or I'm milking goats, or walking in the forest, I don't want my
> reverie interrupted by a "bling!" sound, just because some "friend" took a
> photo of what they're having for supper.
>
> When quitting smoking, they say the first three days are the worst. C'mon,
> you can make it! :-)
>
> Jan
>
> --

Tina Manley