Re: [OM] Beaver Pond - HDR

Subject: Re: [OM] Beaver Pond - HDR
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 13:21:50 -0800
> That took me a while :-)  It’s a lovely region to tour by map, but I started
> at PABR when I eventually realised that you meant PAFR...

Sorry about that. Typos R Us.

> That valley does look tight, and I can imagine the rotor action caused by
> high winds across the ridges; what a place!

It's fascinating to experience it at ground level too. It'll be nice
and quiet at the house and then get absolutely whammied. It goes from
zero wind to 60 mph gusts for a minute and then back to zero. When you
see the snow blowing off the ridges, that's a good indication that
flying is going to be rough. The problem for general aviation is that
one of the north-south VFR flyways is right along the edge of the
mountains. If the wind is from the east, it's a painful ride. When
it's really bad, they route up north from Stevens/Lake Hood and stay
under the floor. That's why all the IFR traffic comes in from the west
to be as far away as possible, but you still get royally bounced on
approach if the wind is stiff. South-east Anchorage, up in the hills
and down along Turnagain Arm, get absolutely fierce winds. The houses
see 100 MPH winds quite frequently.

We did have a deadly mid-air collision last week between a couple of
private airplanes. It's tight in the corridors.

AG Schnozz